Re: [Linux-ia64] Problem booting SuSE SLES 8 beta (kernel 2.4.19) on Itanium 2 box

From: Grant Grundler <grundler_at_cup.hp.com>
Date: 2003-01-17 06:13:32
On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 07:42:40PM +0100, Jose Rodriguez Ruibal wrote:
> Both, from the EFI shell and also from Linux.

ok. Which Linux works? The SLES 8 installer? RH AS 2.1? Self-built Kernel?

BTW, I've corrected the subject line since SLES 8 kernel for Itanium 2
systems is based on 2.4.19, not 2.4.9.

Original problem report said:
| I'm testing SuSE SLES 8 on a Itanium 2 box, and the installation goes
| more or less OK. The problem is that when I try to boot once installed,
| the boot process stops while loading the mptable module.

What made you think "mptable" was the problem when the last output
is "loading mptbase"?

Could you determine if the kernel binaries used by the SLES 8 installer
are the same as used on the reboot?
It sounds like they are not and the problem is the ramdisk.

thanks,
grant

ps. try using a different mail handler - the archives aren't able to
track this thread. See
   https://lists.linuxia64.org/archives//linux-ia64/2003-January/thread.html