Re: [Linux-ia64] Distributions using gcc 3.2 or later

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-01-16 05:15:43

  Perry> Intel has graciously short-term-loaned me a IA64.  Before
  Perry> Christmas break, I poked around, and all the Linux
  Perry> distributions for IA64 seemed GCC 2.96 based, except for the
  Perry> Redhat rawhide distribution.  But, testing with alpha-test
  Perry> distributions makes me nervous that I would be testing much
  Perry> more than my changes.  Now that my compiler modification is
  Perry> starting to work, I thought I'd poke my head out and ask what
  Perry> distribution I should use that would expect GCC 3.2 or later?

Debian/unstable also uses gcc-3.2.  As you'd expect, this version
isn't as solid as Debian/stable, but it's definitely usable (I'm
running it on my McKinley workstation at work).  The main thing is
that stuff sometimes breaks temporarily (e.g., it seems the X server
broke a couple of days ago), but usually those can be fixed by
downgrading to the "stable" version of the package.

	--david