[Linux-ia64] Distributions using gcc 3.2 or later

From: Perry Wagle <wagle_at_wirex.com>
Date: 2003-01-16 04:43:39
Hi --

I need to test and improve modifications of GCC 3.2 or later on a IA64
as part of a demonstration that those modifications aren't IA32
specific.  As it is, I am just now showing that I can build entire
production quality Linux distributions with my (currently non-standard)
compilers on IA32, and I want to extend that to a couple more platforms.

Intel has graciously short-term-loaned me a IA64.  Before Christmas
break, I poked around, and all the Linux distributions for IA64 seemed
GCC 2.96 based, except for the Redhat rawhide distribution.  But,
testing with alpha-test distributions makes me nervous that I would be
testing much more than my changes.  Now that my compiler modification
is starting to work, I thought I'd poke my head out and ask what
distribution I should use that would expect GCC 3.2 or later?

Or perhaps, if you have a fork going in GCC for IA64, I should use it
instead?  The purpose is to propose inclusion of my modifications into
the GCC main branch.

-- Perry Wagle (wagle@wirex.com)