Re: [Linux-ia64] Re: Re: disabling nics using boot options.

From: Grant Grundler <grundler_at_cup.hp.com>
Date: 2003-01-11 11:06:52
Roy Dragseth wrote:
> But, if I put in a sleep 60 after ifup in the /etc/init.d/network
> script, everything is ok.

IIRC, dhclient forks and lets the child/fork do the actual work.
With sleep 60, seems the new process would run immediately.
Perhaps the problem is an issue with the dhclient child-process
not getting executed before something else attempts to use the
interface?
You have time to try "sleep 1" or "sleep 5"?

> To me, an illiterate when it comes to drivers and network hardware, it seems
> like the network card (or driver) needs some time to get ready to serve after
> beeing configured.  Again, the problem only occurs when running Gbit, it
> never shows up when I connect to a 100Mbit switch.

hmmm...I don't know anything about Gbit vs 100Bt negotiations, but maybe
the Gbit negotiation is just taking longer?

grant