Re: [Linux-ia64] Re: Re: disabling nics using boot options.

From: Roy Dragseth <royd_at_cc.uit.no>
Date: 2003-01-11 08:39:35
I've done some more investigation into this matter, it seems like the whole
problem stems from a timing issue:

I reconfigured the Gbit interface to use a static ip-adress, but the problem
persisted: The interface comes up seemingly all right during the init process
in the normal bootup sequence, but the subsequent ypbind fail to find any
ypservers.

So, the problem doesn't have anything to do with dhcp, at least, so it seems
to me.  But, if I put in a sleep 60 after ifup in the /etc/init.d/network
script, everything is ok.

To me, an illiterate when it comes to drivers and network hardware, it seems
like the network card (or driver) needs some time to get ready to serve after
beeing configured.  Again, the problem only occurs when running Gbit, it
never shows up when I connect to a 100Mbit switch.

Well, I think I've pulled enough hair out of my head over this.  I'll just
have to bite the bullet and rig all the machines with an extra cable and use
the 100Mbit interface for the network installs.  Another day of stretching
cables, sigh...

A big thanks to all who have replied to me with suggestions, especially Bill.

r.

--

  The Computer Center, University of Tromsų, N-9037 TROMSŲ, Norway.
	      phone:+47 77 64 41 07, fax:+47 77 64 41 00