Re: [Linux-ia64] 2.5.45 with CONFIG_NUMA=y

From: Jesse Barnes <jbarnes_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2002-12-04 12:11:46
On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 05:22:04PM +0100, Xavier Bru wrote:
>  > > . Current settings for DIG are : 512MB/bank, 16GB/node,(mmzone.h)  but our
>  > > platform can support 64 GB/node (Even with less memory, bios maps
>  > > each node memory modulo 64GB).
>  > > As it has been cleanly coded :-), we just changed DIG_BANKSHIFT to 31
>  > > (2GB banks) and system runs.
>  > > Should these values bee incremented in the future ?
>  >
>  > Maybe that should be an option for the kernel configuration system?
>
> This should be OK for us.

Wanna come up with a patch? :)  It could just be something like 'MB per
bank' or somesuch, only visible when DIG and DISCONTIG are turned on.

> Seems that we use the VGA mode through /dev/mem (No driver is actually
> loaded).
> Are there some known problems with /dev/mem and DISCONTIG_MEM ?

I don't think there are discontig mem issues really, but platform issues
possibly.  On our platform for example, X might go looking in /dev/mem
for a list of PCI cards and then use the info in the PCI config space
incorrectly (e.g. IRQ values).  Other platforms probably have this issue
too, not sure about yours though.

> Do you think we should have more chances validating Frame buffer support and the
> card driver ? (I think platform has no AGP support).

Possibly.  I know that some of the frame buffer drivers were written to
expect the card to be uninitialized so that they'll work on non-x86
platforms.

Jesse