[Linux-ia64] RE: set the precision of Intel's FPU.

From: John Kern <jkern_at_numeritech.com>
Date: 2002-12-04 10:23:22
Hola,

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know.  My mistake was I
assumed IA-64 had the same problems as the x86 processor.

Just thought I'd leave a few sentences of background info which may be
helpful to others with a similar concern.

>From a language prespective, I'd like to the data type to map to the
appropriate ieee precision.

data type 		ieee precision
float 		single(32-bit)
double		double (64-bit)
long double		extended

Many platforms(Solaris, HP-UX, and Linux/IA-64) use float and double this
way. Since I don't use extended, I can't comment on the portability of it.

Unfortunately(for those who want consistent cross platform results),
x86 implements float with extended (80-bit) precision registers.  So,
the mapping effectively looks like:

data type 		ieee precision
float 		extended
double		extended
long double		extended

>This interface is x86-specific.  AFAIK, the proper interface to use
>here is the one defined by <fenv.h>.  Specifically, the fesetenv()
>routine can manipulate any bit in ar.fpsr.

fenv.h implements the C99 standard for both rounding and exceptions,
but it doesn't control precision.  So, the x86 code can't be replace
with this (although I'd love to replace it with a standard call) and I
now understand it isn't needed on IA-64.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

John