Re: [Linux-ia64] 2.5.45 with CONFIG_NUMA=y

From: Xavier Bru <Xavier.Bru_at_bull.net>
Date: 2002-11-28 03:22:04
Hi Jesse
Thanks a lot for your answers.

Jesse Barnes writes:
 > On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 06:54:36PM +0100, Xavier Bru wrote:
 > >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > Booting the 2.5.45 kernel on our numa platform, we hit 2 problems:
 > >
 > > . Current settings for DIG are : 512MB/bank, 16GB/node,(mmzone.h)  but our
 > > platform can support 64 GB/node (Even with less memory, bios maps
 > > each node memory modulo 64GB).
 > > As it has been cleanly coded :-), we just changed DIG_BANKSHIFT to 31
 > > (2GB banks) and system runs.
 > > Should these values bee incremented in the future ?
 >
 > Maybe that should be an option for the kernel configuration system?

This should be OK for us.

 > > . We can't get X11 working (Xserver loops in user mode). Note that
 > > it works OK with 2.5.45 without DISCONTIG_MEM set. Having a look to the
 > > mappings in /proc/ and the XFree86 log, we saw no difference. Any idea
 > > ?
 >
 > Does X initialize your card correctly?  I know that scanning /dev/mem
 > for video cards (which is what XFree86 does, IIRC) can be problematic on
 > some platforms...

Seems that we use the VGA mode through /dev/mem (No driver is actually
loaded).
Are there some known problems with /dev/mem and DISCONTIG_MEM ?
Do you think we should have more chances validating Frame buffer support and the
card driver ? (I think platform has no AGP support).

 > Jesse
Thanks again.
Xavier

--

 Sincères salutations.

Xavier BRU                 BULL ISD/R&D/INTEL office:     FREC B1-422
tel : +33 (0)4 76 29 77 45                    http://www-frec.bull.fr
fax : +33 (0)4 76 29 77 70                 mailto:Xavier.Bru@bull.net
addr: BULL, 1 rue de Provence, BP 208, 38432 Echirolles Cedex, FRANCE