Re: [Linux-ia64] linker

From: Jim Wilson <wilson_at_redhat.com>
Date: 2002-11-27 04:47:53
This isn't a topic that can be easily explained in a few mail messages.

There is a book authored by John R Levine _Linkers and Loaders_.  I haven't
read it myself, but I hear it is very good.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558604960/ref=lib_rd_btb/102-4344578-4148946?v=glance&s=books

You can find useful info in the various IA-64 ABI documents.  The psABI and
the Software Conventions and Runtime Architecture documents in particular.
These are available via download from the Intel web page for Itanium.
        http://developer.intel.com/design/itanium/arch_spec.htm
See also the ELF standard (gABI), which is available from SCO/Caldera.
        http://www.caldera.com/developers/gabi

You can also learn a bit by using objdump and readelf to pretty print the
contents of an ELF file.  You can also learn a lot by spending time looking
at and/or tracing through the GNU ld sources, though this may take some time.

Jim