Re: [Linux-ia64] One little, two little, three little endian...

From: Rich Altmaier <richa_at_engr.sgi.com>
Date: 2002-11-16 04:44:09
FYI,
the Intel Fortran compiler runtime
has features for endianness conversion.
See the environment variable  F_UFMTENDIAN.
See  Intel Fortran Compiler Users's Guide, Customizing Compilation Environment,
Environment Variables,  Little-endian to Big-endian Conversion.

Of course ISVs today have faced the endianness problem for many years.
So most aps have already designed in features for data conversion.
You should push back very hard as to exactly what application really
has a problem here.  Clearly Fortran formatted data is not an issue, for e.g.
It would be pretty surprising if data generated for enterprise applications
were not already routinely interchanging with the little endian Windows environment.

To create an entirely new ABI is not a small deal.

Hopefully this is helpful,
Rich Altmaier, SGI