Re: [Linux-ia64] One little, two little, three little endian...

From: Don Dugger <n0ano_at_n0ano.com>
Date: 2002-11-15 13:25:33
My reaction is why?

If the HP-UX people are converting to Linux you're talking about porting
the applications anyway.  Why don't you just bite the bullet and port
the applications to little endian Linux and be done with it.  I know
there's a tendency to shudder when contemplating an endian port but it's
really not that difficult these days.  GCC is pretty good about flagging
most of the issues that get you in trouble so if you resolve all warnings
carefully most of the job is done.  It's actually easier to port from
big endian to little than vice versa so you'd be faced with the simpler
problem.

If the apps have assembly language it's going to be a complete port
anyway so porting to little endian doesn't add any work there.

Data compatibility is the only real gotcha I can think of and that's just
a translation issue.  Potentially creating the translation utilities will
be a problem but I predict it's a smaller problem than coming up with a
big endian IA64 Linux.