Re: [Linux-ia64] Re: memcpy failure

From: Don Dugger <n0ano_at_n0ano.com>
Date: 2002-11-15 02:10:08
I sometimes prefer a routine to return a pointer, even if the
pointer is known in advance.  This way you can set a pointer
in the same statement that does the copy, e.g.:

	ptr = memcpy(malloc(100), buffer, 100);

rather than:

	ptr = malloc(100);
	memcpy(ptr, buffer, 100);

This is just a stylistic issue, I like to remove lines of code
whenever possible.

PS:  I would never actually do this code example, using a malloc
without checking the result is wrong, but you get the idea.