RE: [Linux-ia64] reader-writer livelock proble

From: Mario Smarduch <cms063_at_email.mot.com>
Date: 2002-11-12 07:01:53
David Mosberger wrote:

>   Mario> I know that on some commercial Unix systems there are ways to
>   Mario> cap the CPU utilization by user/group ids are there such
>   Mario> features/patches available on Linux?
>
> There are probably other patches floating around, but Process Resource
> Management (PRM) for Linux is/was one approach to do just that:
>
>         http://resourcemanagement.unixsolutions.hp.com/WaRM/prm_linux/
>
> The kernel patches available from this URL are pretty old (up to
> 2.4.6, as far as I could see), and I'm not sure what the future plans
> for PRM on Linux are.  Perhaps someone else can provide more details.
>
>         --david

I took a look and it appears pretty encouraging. I guess the final question
would be - with CPU caps imposed on non-root users would that prevent
a user from livelocking the system? I don't recall how long
it took for the system  to livelock (I erased the original email), there may be
an oppertunity for livelock to develop before the PRM policies kick in.

- Mario.