Re: [Linux-ia64] Re: PCI Hotplug Drivers for 2.5

From: Matthew Wilcox <willy_at_debian.org>
Date: 2002-10-24 21:49:52
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 11:12:36PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> I think we now all agree that resource management should move into a
> place where it can be shared by all pci hotplug drivers, right?
>
> If so, anyone want to propose some common code?  I think the stuff in
> the ACPI driver that was pulled from the Compaq driver is a great start.
> I can try to pull this into the core myself, but if the Intel developers
> have the time, and energy, I would greatly appreciate their help (or
> anyone else who wants to join in.)

We already _have_ a lot of common code in drivers/pci, but it's not
compiled in for x86 or ia64.  some other architectures don't assign PCI
resources in the `BIOS' so we get to do it.  setup-bus.c, setup-res.c
and setup-irq.c all seem to duplicate some part of the code currently
found in each and every hotplug driver.