Re: [Linux-ia64] ia64 compressed makefile target

From: Jesse Barnes <jbarnes_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2002-10-24 06:49:35
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 12:01:29PM -0700, David Mosberger wrote:
> I don't have a strong preference either way, but I do have some
> concerns about the VMAP_KERNEL.  I really dislike the fact that it
> requires different versions of virtual-to-physical translations for
> kernel addresses.  No other platform does that, so it will be a source
> of continual worry.  Jesse, could you describe your approach a little
> more?  I assume you link the kernel with "ld -r" and have an elilo
> that applies the relocations?

Elilo 3.1 supports relocation, but now that I look, we're not passing -r
to ld when the kernel is linked, which makes me wonder why it works at
all.  But I've confirmed that a kernel stripped with --strip-all doesn't
boot, while the same binary stripped with --strip-debug does (haven't
tried --strip-unneeded, but that should work too).  I can look into it
more if you're not comfortable with the change, and maybe Tony has
something to add?

Thanks,
Jesse