RE: [Linux-ia64] ia64 compressed makefile target

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2002-10-24 05:01:29

  Tony> Or perhaps David will take the CONFIG_IA64_VMAP_KERNEL patch
  Tony> that I posted a week ago which also allows the kernel to run
  Tony> on systems without memory at the default link address.
  Tony> Admittedly it's more than one line, but it contains much of
  Tony> the same infrastructure that is needed to support kernel text
  Tony> replication.

I don't have a strong preference either way, but I do have some
concerns about the VMAP_KERNEL.  I really dislike the fact that it
requires different versions of virtual-to-physical translations for
kernel addresses.  No other platform does that, so it will be a source
of continual worry.  Jesse, could you describe your approach a little
more?  I assume you link the kernel with "ld -r" and have an elilo
that applies the relocations?

	--david