Re: [Linux-ia64] Some Modules fail w/ unresolved cpu_info__per_cpu

From: Christian Cotte-Barrot <Christian.Cotte-Barrot_at_bull.net>
Date: 2002-10-17 20:31:58
Keith Owens wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:45:48 +0200,
> Christian Cotte-Barrot <Christian.Cotte-Barrot@bull.net> wrote:
> >I found that the exported symbol name via /proc/ksyms is in fact:
> >  cpu_info__per_cpu_R__ver_cpu_info__per_cpu
> >
> >Then I did not ask much more questions to me trying to find the root
> >cause of the problem within the kernel sources and I just added the
> >following trivial modification in the driver's code:
> >#define cpu_info__per_cpu   cpu_info__per_cpu_R__ver_cpu_info__per_cpu
> >
> >With this workaround insmod didn't complain anymore about "cpu_info__per_cpu"
> >and the driver works correctly.
> >
> >But I am agree it is just a workaround and we shouldn't have to
> >modify drivers's code for such problem.
>
> Arrghh, don't do that!  FAQ: http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s8-8.

Agree, agree, agree, ...

In my case I had just the need to verify that the ipmi driver still worked
on Tiger platform and I applied a very temporary workaround in order that
the module would be successfully loaded.
I agree it is a nasty huge correction and I won't pretend it is a clean one.
I just wanted to answer I hit the problem and give an easy and simple way to
bybass it.