Re: [Linux-ia64] [RFC] Remove MCA dump?

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2002-08-22 02:14:32

  Matthew> The MCA handler is completely useless.

It's useful to me.

  Matthew> If I crash the machine and forget to clear the MCA dump in
  Matthew> firmware, at the next boot Linux dumps the registers (in a
  Matthew> hard-to-understand style) and hangs.

It shouldn't hang (and it doesn't on the Itanium & Itanium 2 systems
we have).  Sounds like something is off...

I agree that the output format is hard to understand, but a user-level
tool can fix that.  In my experience, the most useful value to look at
is CR[19], since it contains the IIP.  (It would be nice, though, to
have a beginners guide to decoding MCAs until there is better tools.)

	--david