Re: [Linux-ia64] [RFC] Remove MCA dump?

From: Matthew Wilcox <willy_at_debian.org>
Date: 2002-08-21 22:38:32
On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 02:34:42PM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org> writes:
>
> |> The MCA handler is completely useless.  If I crash the machine and
> |> forget to clear the MCA dump in firmware, at the next boot Linux dumps
> |> the registers (in a hard-to-understand style) and hangs.
>
> I haven't seen such hangs on our machines, except for some old
> pre-production systems that lack the necessary hardware support.

I wonder why not.  Here's the code:

void
init_handler_platform (struct pt_regs *regs)
{
        /* if a kernel debugger is available call it here else just dump the reg
isters */

        show_regs(regs);                /* dump the state info */
        while (1);                      /* hang city if no debugger */
}

Maybe it only locks up that specific processor so you didn't notice you'd
lost a processor on an SMP system?