Re: [Linux-ia64] use of gdb for ia64 kernel debug

From: Piet/Pete Delaney <piet_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2002-04-30 05:22:08
On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 11:36:20AM -0700, David Mosberger wrote:

>   Ray> Is is possible to use an IA32 system as a gdb host and run a
>   Ray> remote debugging session on an IA64 box (e. g. a Big Sur)?
>
> You need a gdb stub in the kernel for doing that.  I seem to recall
> someone wrote such a stub for FreeBSD (or was it NetBSD)?  If so, you
> could use that as a starting point.

The FreeBSD guys are using:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/ia64/ia64/ia64-gdbstub.c

HP has KWDB for ia64:

	http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSoftwareDetailPage_IDX/1,1703,257,00.html

but the stub isn't available to my best knowledge.

If anyone gets a gbd stub working, or even partially working, on a ia64
like a Big Sur, I'd appreciate getting a copy.

I've been wondering if skdb might be easier for our NUMA systems. Attached is a i386 stub I got
from  Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> that's a gdb stub that talks to kdb. Andi's modified it for
i386-64. A couple of months ago I tried modifying it for ia64 (attached skdb_ia64.c);
I was having trouble getting all of the registers transfered with the 'g' packet.

-piet