Re: [Linux-ia64] A start at large file and filesystem support

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2002-04-24 16:12:03

  Peter> I've been looking at getting large file system support to
  Peter> work properly (there's currently a 1TB or 2TB limit on the
  Peter> size of a block device in 2.5.9, depending on how you use
  Peter> it).

  Peter> This patch enables large filesystems, and discs bigger than
  Peter> 2TB.  Only the EFI GUID partitioning scheme can be used with
  Peter> enormous discs, as all the others are constrained by 32-bit
  Peter> number of cylinders.

  Peter> Next step is to audit the filesystems that claim to be able
  Peter> to support large filesystems (ext2 may support up to 32TB;
  Peter> reiserfs version 4, jfs and xfs much more) and make sure that
  Peter> they can.

Good work!  Since this really doesn't touch any ia64 files: will you
work directly with the respective maintainers to get this into the
official 2.5 tree?

  Peter> The patch is a bit big for inclusion in this email.  You can
  Peter> get it from
  Peter> http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/patches/2.5.9-largefile-patch.txt.bz2
  Peter> (which also includes the changes David Mosberger put up as
  Peter> the diffs from 2.5.8)

  Peter> If you're bitkeeper-enabled, you can pull the patch from
  Peter> bk://gelato.unsw.edu.au:2022

Not sure how others feel about this, but I for one still like to get
diff -u-style patches.  It's just so much faster to get a quick idea
of what the patch does.

Thanks,

	--david