[Linux-ia64] Re: PAL entry point

From: Christian Hildner <christian.hildner_at_hob.de>
Date: 2002-04-22 16:03:15
David Mosberger schrieb:

>   Christian> Stephane, David, do you agree making the symbol
>   Christian> pal_entry_point global (included in pal.S)? I would need
>   Christian> access to the PAL routines directly from my program
>   Christian> without using the provided functions.
>
> I'm not sure that's a good idea.  PAL has very particular constraints
> on the environment in which it can be called in.  Why aren't the
> normal entry points (ia64_pal_call_static(), ia64_pal_call_stacked(),
> ia64_pal_call_phys_static(), and ia64_pal_call_phys_stacked())
> sufficient?
>
>         --david

The problem is that in the context from which I want to call PAL there is no register stack
available and so there is no possibility to call a regular kernel function. I want to call the
PAL in physical/static mode and I know that it's not the easiest way to do this but I think I
know what I am doing.

Christian