Re: [Linux-ia64] Missing EXPORT_SYMBOL memset

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2002-04-13 12:00:32

  Andreas> There is no way for gcc to see the memset macro when it
  Andreas> generates the call to the memset function.  And there isn't
  Andreas> much lost anyway, since the macro is just there to call
  Andreas> __bzero vs. __memset_generic (aka memset), the difference
  Andreas> is just one parameter more or less.

Just fyi: the reason I split it up is because for ia64 its worthwhile
to special-case the memset-to-zero case (think stf.spill).  That code
isn't there yet, but I wanted to get things set up for it.  Of course,
memset can also check for this case dynamically, but from a logical
perspective, I like it better to make the bzero case explicit (and
save a taken branch in those cases where the compiler macro detects
memset-to-zero).

	--david