Re: [Linux-ia64] Basic Advice Needed

From: Jeremy Fox <jerfox_at_Stanford.EDU>
Date: 2002-04-01 17:24:19
On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 07:30:16PM -0800, Randolph Chung wrote:

> That is hard to believe, but in any case, you can get Debian isos at:
> http://www.debian.org/ports/ia64/

Thanks for the link. RedHat ia64 seems to be open source as long as
you are willling to open your wallet for $495. Seriously you can
download the individual files but not isos and the seller wasn't able
to make bootable CDs properly. I went to the RedHat ia64 list and I
see some anguish but no success stories.

> Dunno about "high memory", but the Debian ia64 build daemon builds on the
> order of 100-150 packages of various complexity every day and it's been
> running for over 100 days. It's a HP i2000 with 2G of RAM

The seller claims it's stable with only 2 GB of RAM, but when he ups
it to 5 GB with SuSE 7.1 the machine crashes every hour or so. If this
is a software problem it's not good because the whole point of using a
64-bit machine is to address more than 2 GB with one process.

--
Jeremy T. Fox