RE: [Linux-ia64] ia64_log_get error while booting

From: Hall, Jenna S <jenna.s.hall_at_intel.com>
Date: 2002-03-23 08:31:22
Daniel,

What BIOS are you running on your Lion?  Older BIOSes did not have the
correct firmware support for machine checks, so if you boot a kernel with
CONFIG_IA64_MCA enabled in the kernel config, this behavior could result.

You have two options:

1. Upgrade your BIOS - this is only an option if you have an OEM Lion (it is
not recommended or supported by Intel to upgrade the BIOS past build 83 on
SDV Lions).  You can determine if you have an OEM Lion by looking at the
back of the legacy I/O card inside the machine - OEM machines will have "OEM
Legacy" silkscreened on the back of the card.
2. Disable CONFIG_IA64_MCA in your .config file, rebuild the kernel, then
reboot with that new kernel.

Jenna