[Linux-ia64] kernel make install - why don't we make it easy like on ia32?

From: Piet/Pete Delaney <piet_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2002-03-20 17:38:02
I was wondering why the ia32 style of installing boot stuff like
/boot/vmlinuz that done in:

	arch/i386/boot/Makefile
and
	arch/i386/boot/install.sh

isn't being done for ia64.

I'm thinking of makeing a few tweaks to the ia32 version to copy
kernel stuff to /boot and /boot/efi. I've been using a hack on the
top level kernel Makefile but it's a hack to do it there. The ia32
paradigm seems fine; so why isn't it done for ia64. Even after
applying the ia64 patch to linux-2.4.18, a 'make install' in the
top level kernel Makefile still breaks.

What gives?

-piet