Re: [Linux-ia64] Re: compiler version for kernel builds

From: Gary Hade <garyhade_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: 2002-03-16 09:44:36
On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 07:56:07PM -0800, David Mosberger wrote:

>   Jesse> David, which compiler version do you use for kernel builds
>   Jesse> these days?
>
> I usually use 3.0, though I try to remember to test with 2.96 from
> time to time.  I haven't had much luck with 3.1 yet: it builds a
> working kernel for the simulator, but the kernel for the real machine
> dies early on.  Haven't had time yet to investigate.

I can confirm that gcc-3_1-branch (as of yesterday) is still
unable to build a working kernel.

A few days ago the most current 3.1 source wouldn't even compile
the 2.4.17 kernel source.  It was dying with an internal compiler
error while attempting to compile linux/fs/jbd/journal.c.  I
submitted GCC PR 5892 which was fixed on 3/13.

Using a gcc built yesterday from the gcc-3_1-branch containing
the above fix I hit a link-time error due to an unresolved reference
to __xchg_called_with_bad_pointer.  We determined that this problem
was due to a change in the compiler inlining behavior where
static inline functions over a certain size are no longer being
inlined by default.  It appears that we will need to use
-finline-limit=n to force inlining of larger functions.  After
adding -finline-limit=2000 the kernel compiles and links.
Unfortunately, it hangs right away when you try to boot it.

I'll let you if we learn more.

Gary