Re: [Linux-ia64] Fix for for memory leak in IA32 mmap

From: <n0ano_at_indstorage.com>
Date: 2002-03-06 07:06:41
Tony-

A couple of points:

1)  Multiple `mmap's all freed with 1 `munmap'.  If those were all
non-fixed `mmap's then that is a pretty broken program that deserves
to fail (there is no guarantee that the `mmap's returned contiguous
memory).  If they were all fixed `mmap's then there shouldn't be a
problem even with the current scheme.

2)  An mmap(MAP_FIXED) doesn't create a problem even now, it won't
in the future.

3)  I wasn't intending to keep a bitmap for all of IA32 addressable
memory.  I intend to keep a list of all the partial pages, basically
the first and last page of an `mmap' request, and then keep a bitmap
for each of the 4K chunks inside of that page.  Maintaining the bitmap
will be a little tricky to handle all of the `mmap/munmap' possibilities
but it shouldn't be all that hard to get it right.

I agree, there could be a pathological IA32 program that just won't
work without 4K pages, we've said all along that that is a possibility.
Fortunately, we haven't found any real world programs that we can't
make work yet and I'm going to try real hard to make sure that all
real world programs work.