Re: [Linux-ia64] Fix for for memory leak in IA32 mmap

From: Don Dugger <n0ano_at_n0ano.com>
Date: 2002-03-06 04:46:29
David-

Yep, it was a virtual memory leak.  Intel came up with a Fortran
program that was allocating and freeing lots of anonymous `mmap's.
It was really nasty because it wasn't even the same request all the
time, it had something like 3 different odd size requests that it was
`mmap'ing and `munmap'ing, all in a loop and eventually it ran out
of VM.

I like the idea of keeping a bitmap.  I still have to keep a list,
it'll actually be a bigger list since I'll have to keep track of
fixed requests also, but that should handle ALL cases (even the case
where a program makes an odd sized non-fixed `mmap' followed by a
fixed `mmap' into the middle of the last page).  Give me a few days
and I'll see if I can't come up with something.

--
Don Dugger
n0ano@n0ano.com