Re: [Linux-ia64] simeth problem...

From: Stephane Eranian <eranian_at_frankl.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2002-03-05 18:00:36
Peter,

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 11:36:19AM +1100, Peter Chubb wrote:
> 	I'm having problems with the simulated ethernet interface.
>
> >From within the simulator, I can ping any machine on the local network
> except the machine the simulator is being hosted on.

That's normal. Because of the way simeth is implemented you cannot ping
the local host IP address from within the simulated kernel.

> I can ping the simulated ethernet from any machine on the network
> except the one the simulator is hosted on.

That's also normal.

The simulated ethernet is using a packet filter and the host interface
is put in promiscuous mode. The filter routes all broadcasts + packet
for the simeth address to the simeth driver, the rest goes to the local
host interface. I believe such configuration forbids sending from the
simeth back to the local host and that's why pinging in any direction does
not work.

--
-Stephane