Qlogic scsi driver (was Re: [Linux-ia64] kacpidpc process takes 100% of CPU)

From: Randall G Chan <chanr_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: 2001-11-14 09:25:59
"Naturally the process ignores my 'kill -9's. I've tried booting the kernel
on single proc Lions (733 C0s), but the kernel won't even boot on those
systems (hangs right after it loads the SCSI driver is begins looking for
devices)"

I've actually noticed this too on both kernels 2.4.13 & 2.4.14.  I have not
yet been able to figure out what's wrong with it.  I have a kernel that
works fine on a 4-way C0 Lion, BIOS 99, but when I stick it on a single C0
BIOS 99, the kernel hangs in the above spot (prints out copyright info and
driver version, then just hangs when it's <seemingly> scanning the scsi
bus).  Anyone else notice this or have a solution?

Thanks,
Randy Chan
Mylex - An IBM Company
Software Engineer
chanr@us.ibm.com

                    "Paris, DavidX"
                    <davidx.paris@intel.       To:     "'linux-ia64@linuxia64.org'" <linux-ia64@linuxia64.org>
                    com>                       cc:
                    Sent by:                   Subject:     [Linux-ia64] kacpidpc process takes 100% of CPU
                    linux-ia64-admin@lin
                    uxia64.org

                    11/13/2001 09:43 AM

I've just built 2.4.13 and 2.4.14 with and without the KDB patch and in all
cases when the system comes up there is a kacpidpc process (PID 10) taking
100% of one of the cpus (changes which CPU it's on every boot). The system
is a 4 processor Lion (733 Mhz B3) with 1 gig of ram. This process isn't
even running when I build the same kernels on a BigSpur. I've even tried
copying over the very kernel that works fine on the BigSpur, but when I
boot
it on the Lion I get this kacpidpc process. Naturally the process ignores
my
'kill -9's. I've tried booting the kernel on single proc Lions (733 C0s),
but the kernel won't even boot on those systems (hangs right after it loads
the SCSI driver is begins looking for devices). Does anyone have any idea
why this kacpidpc process is hogging one of the CPUs, and how I go about
getting rid of it? Unlike in the IA32 kernels, it doesn't look like you can
turn off ACPI in the IA64 kernel. Thanks,

David