Re: [Linux-ia64] kacpidpc process takes 100% of CPU

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2001-11-14 04:57:01

  >> I've just built 2.4.13 and 2.4.14 with and without the KDB patch
  >> and in all cases when the system comes up there is a kacpidpc
  >> process (PID 10) taking 100% of one of the cpus (changes which
  >> CPU it's on every boot). The system is a 4 processor Lion (733
  >> Mhz B3) with 1 gig of ram. This process isn't even running when I
  >> build the same kernels on a BigSpur. I've even tried copying over
  >> the very kernel that works fine on the BigSpur, but when I boot
  >> it on the Lion I get this kacpidpc process. Naturally the process
  >> ignores my 'kill -9's. I've tried booting the kernel on single
  >> proc Lions (733 C0s), but the kernel won't even boot on those
  >> systems (hangs right after it loads the SCSI driver is begins
  >> looking for devices). Does anyone have any idea why this kacpidpc
  >> process is hogging one of the CPUs, and how I go about getting
  >> rid of it? Unlike in the IA32 kernels, it doesn't look like you
  >> can turn off ACPI in the IA64 kernel. Thanks,

What ACPI configuration do you use?  In my kernels, I turn on the
following ACPI related configs:

CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EFI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_KERNEL_CONFIG=y

All other ACPI stuff I turn off.

What firmware are you using?  In my experience, Lions need build 99 or
newer.

	--david