Re: [Linux-ia64] Unaligned access in ia64

From: <n0ano_at_indstorage.com>
Date: 2001-11-13 04:16:02
D'Laila-

Looks like you have a bigger problem than just unaligned access :-)

I think your basic problem is that for IA32 int's, long's and
pointers are all 4-bytes while for IA64 only int's are 4-bytes,
long's and pointer's are 8-bytes.

This means that the compiler warning about the cast to different
sizes is VERY significant and probably means your program is incorrect.
When you cast the pointer to the int you lost the upper half of the
pointer and, when you cast the int back to a pointer, you wound up with
a bad pointer.

The simple solution is to take all of those int variables that you
are putting pointers into and change them into longs.  Of course, if
you move any of those long variables into a different interrmediate
int variable you'll have to change the intermediate variable into a
long also.  And so on, and so on...

(As an aside I'd ask the more basic question of why are you casting
pointers to an integral type?  This is inherently unsafe and you should
avoid doing this if at all possible.  Why don't you just always treat
pointers as pointers and then avoid this whole problem?)