RE: [Linux-ia64] adding new network device driver

From: <Matt_Domsch_at_Dell.com>
Date: 2001-11-10 13:51:30
> When I boot with new kernel my driver probe routine is not entered.
> Is there anyplace I need to inform the kernel about the existence
> of the new driver.

If it's a module, you simply mark your init function with __init, like so:

int __init my_driver_init(void)
{
}

And then if it can be built as a module, put
module_init(my_driver_init);

at the end.  See most of the networking drivers for how they do this.

Then, at kernel build time, if your driver is built into the kernel
(CONFIG_XXXX=Y), it gets its initialization routine called during the kernel
startup.  If it's a module, it gets called when you insmod your driver.

Of course, all of this isn't specific to IA-64, so this probably isn't the
right list.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Sr. Software Engineer
#2 Linux Server provider with 17% in the US and 14% Worldwide (IDC)!
#3 Unix provider with 18% in the US (Dataquest)!