Re: [Linux-ia64] Probable seamless bug: can't pop es

From: <n0ano_at_indstorage.com>
Date: 2001-10-15 04:35:54
Short answer:  Yes, the GDTD was set up wrong, here's the patch to
fix this.  (I must be getting better, it only took me a weekend to
find the single bit that had to change rather than my typical effort
of over a week :-)  We were neglecting to set the present bit, an
obvious no-no.

Long answer:  I'm amazed we've gotten as far as we have with this
bug.  ANY attempt by an IA32 program to load a segment register from
the GDT would cause a fault.  The only reason we have worked up to
now is that the IA64 code sets up all of the segment descriptors
manually without reference to the GDT and very few protected mode
IA32 programs attempt to load any of the segment registers.

Also, there is a non-zero change that this will fix the problem with
Wine trying to run certain programs, you might want to try TurboTax
again with this fix in.