Re: [Linux-ia64] Re: prctl patch for fpu faults

From: Jack Steiner <steiner_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2001-10-10 23:59:36

> What if I were to get rid of the rate limited logging for both the
> unaligned and fpswa handlers?  Then there could just be a NOPRINT option
> and a signal option for each; the default behavior would be to log all
> messages.  If you'd rather not get rid of it, then I'll just send a patch
> to enable NOPRINT for fpswa (similar to what the unaligned handler does
> now) and a signal option.

IMHO, the default for FPSWA fault (& probably unaligned access) should be OFF.
Lots of apps cause FP faults. AIM7, for example, causes faults at a fairly high
rate. I doubt that any server site would like to see the log polluted with
these errors - especially since there is no way to identify the offending app.

There should be a way a site can change the default logging behavior & have it
apply to ALL tasks..

Remember that FPSWA is invoked for numerous reasons that are NOT necessarily
errors in the application. (AIM7 generates FPSWA faults when it divides a
very small number by 2.0). Intel doesnt even specify all the conditions that cause
FPSWA to be invoked.

As far as rate limited vs full logging, I like rate limited. Otherwise, you can
flood the system with messages. If you are truly trying to debug an app & identify
places that cause faults, the SIGNAL method should be used by the app.
That way, additional info such as traceback & arguments can be captured.

---

After thinking about it for a while, it seems to me that the kernel logging options
should be orthoginal to the user SIGNAL option. A site should be able to select
NOPRINT/RATE-LOGGING/FULL_LOGGING. Independently, the user to be able to select
SIGNAL/NO_SIGNAL/PRINTALL.

The kernel logging option should NOT be a task attribute. Just have
a static flag that controls logging. The value of the flag is
NOPRINT/RATEPRINT/FULLPRINT. Default should be NOPRINT. This option should
be able to be changed via operator command (/proc).

Independently, users might want to select SIGNAL/NOSIGNAL/(PRINT?)
for faults from their application.