Re: [Linux-ia64] use of setcontext()/getcontext()

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2001-09-27 08:24:24

  Stefan> Hello list, I wonder if the above function set can be used
  Stefan> to implement something like what is used to work on other
  Stefan> types of machines with setjmp()/longjmp(). I would like to
  Stefan> continue a program at a certain point of execution with a
  Stefan> saved environment.

>From this description, it sounds like you'd want to use swapcontext().
I don't quite understand your pseudo-code though (what's are
save_both_stacks()/restore_both_stacks() supposed to do?).

I do agree though that it would be nice to have a portable and
thread-safe way of determining whether or not a getcontext() is
returning for the first time.  On ia64, I made getcontext() return
this information in register r9, but that's obviously not a portable
solution.

	--david