Re: [Linux-ia64] First Step

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2001-09-25 06:32:24

  Charles> Gentlemen, please pardon if a newbie for a bit. I have the
  Charles> hp cd now with the various rpm files (NUE-1_1, NUE_FS-1,
  Charles> SDI-0_94 & SKI_LINU). I have a reasonable amount of
  Charles> experience in Linux from the x86 viewpoint, but I would
  Charles> like to understand IA-64. So, I would appreciate a few
  Charles> pointers on how to get started.

  Charles> Do I try to rpm install these on a X86 system, probably
  Charles> not.

Yes, the Ski and NUE RPMS are indeed for x86 systems.  Once installed,
you can issue the "nue" command and that will put you in a virtual
environment that looks like an IA-64 machine).

  Charles> I don't yet know how to get an IA-32 system up and
  Charles> running.

Note that IA-32 is just a different name for x86.  They are the same
thing.

  Charles> Assuming I can use one of my existing computers to learn
  Charles> how to do IA-32 and IA-64 work, what is the series of
  Charles> steps.

Since you already know x86, there is nothing you need to do to learn
IA-32.

As for IA-64: NUE and Ski will allow you to do just that.  Since it's
based on a simulator, it will be too slow to run complicated apps, but
for learning the architecture and development and debugging, it's
quite useful.  We even continue to use it for Linux kernel
development.

	--david