Re: [Linux-ia64] Location of absolute IA32 shared objects.

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2001-09-11 14:11:46

  Christoph> Please take a look at include/asm-*/namei.h - we can
  Christoph> define an emulation prefix for Linux/i386
  Christoph> (e.g. /emul/linux32) and all lookups will be tried there
  Christoph> before falling back to the native FS, This appropeach is
  Christoph> already used by the MIPS and SPARC ports and by linux-abi
  Christoph> for i386.

I don't particularly like changing filenames underneath the user, but
as far as I can see, it's the most systematic way to fix absolute
naming issues.  Unless someone has serious objections to this, I'll
make this change.  As far as I can see, neither LSB nor FHS address
the issue of where to place emulation files, so I'll propose a prefix
of "/emul/ia32-linux/" as a starter.  Any objections?

(Note to Sunil: the IA-64 ABI is of no help here because we're talking
 about files that are outside the standard library search paths and
 the issue is not really limited to shared objects only.)

	--david