RE: [Linux-ia64] IA64 Linux Kernel Page Sizes

From: Seth, Rohit <rohit.seth_at_intel.com>
Date: 2001-09-08 03:01:08
I have an early prototype of super large page(256MB) implementation.  This
is only a proof of concept for large apps (and configurations) to use super
large pages.  The use is for apps that need large data regions (Instructions
and regular data still use regular page size). Current implementation is
through shared memory calls (shmat) with either SHM_LPAGE (a new flag) or
size of requested segment >=LPAGE_SIZE(256MB).  In either case the size has
to be multiple of LPAGE_SIZE to get a large shared memory segment.  Further
the whole physical memory is divided in two parts, one that is seen by
kernel and the other that is only used to fill in large page requests.  And
there is no moving of memory between two parts (in case of shortages). This
implementation is based on 2.4.5 kernel.  Currently IA-32 apps don't work in
this environment, but that can be fixed.

Let me know if this fits in your requirements and you want to give this a
try.  I can send you a cut of (modified)tar files out of my source tree
early next week.

rohit