RE: [Linux-ia64] Re: pthread_mutex_lock sometimes fails on Linux 2.4.5

From: Robboy, David G <david.g.robboy_at_intel.com>
Date: 2001-06-28 07:57:56
The problem I previously reported occurs on a 2.4.5 kernel built from stock
source code (No Alan Cox patches, only the ia64 patch).

I slightly misstated the problem.  Here is what actually happens:
Four threads have entered a barrier (my own C code).  Within the barrier,
they call pthread_mutex_lock and increment a counter while holding the lock.
Three threads are waiting on the counter, whose value is three, to go to
four.  The fourth CPU is looping in the kernel in cpu_idle.  I don't know
how it got there, but probably it has something to do with calling
pthread_mutex_lock.

As I said, if anyone wants to investigate this I will provide a test case.

David