[Linux-ia64] pthread_mutex_lock sometimes fails on Linux 2.4.5

From: Robboy, David G <david.g.robboy_at_intel.com>
Date: 2001-06-28 04:06:12
On a 4P Lion with Red Hat 7.0.98 installed and a 2.4.5 kernel, a 4P fft
application sometimes hangs in a barrier.  All 4 threads get into the
barrier and none get out because a count gets up to 3 and they are waiting
for it to get to 4.  I changed my barrier code to use an assembly language
lock instead of pthread_mutex_lock(), and it works reliably now.  Either
there is a bug in pthread_mutex_lock, or else a memory management bug in the
kernel.  I've worked around this and it is not causing me a problem now.  If
anyone wants to investigate and debug this, I'll be glad to supply a test
case.

David Robboy