Re: [Linux-ia64] Red Hat Installer cannot find the hard drive

From: Stephane Eranian <eranian_at_frankl.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2001-06-26 10:02:48
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 04:47:28PM -0700, Li, Shuo wrote:
> Does anybody know what caused the following problem and how to fix it?
>
> The problem happens at Linux install time. After the installer come back
> after trying to detect the hard drive, it reports an error saying
>
> Partiition(s)) do not end on cylinder boundary:

I don't know which version of RH you're trying to install. I know that
in the past there was a problem here and that it would abort the install.
The fix is to switch to a text console (Alt-Fx where x is maybe 6 or higher,
I don't recall). Then you invoke fdisk manually on the device. Note that the
device entry may not be present. So you need to recreate, sda or sdb or
whatever you're tyring to install on, uing the mknod command. Then,
you manually repartition your drive with correct
boundaries. Finally, you swicth back to the graphical install and go back
one screen  and then forward one and it should pick up the new partitions.

--

-Stephane