[Linux-ia64] IA-64 compile flags for gcc

From: McCaffity, Ray <ray.mccaffity_at_wcg.com>
Date: 2001-06-21 03:28:59
Many times when using gcc, I use certain flags to optimize the compilation,
for example with Solaris8 and a sparc IIe v9 cpu, I would use something
like...

CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O4 -mcpu=v8"; export CC CFLAGS

There are others as well.  Also many times when doing a configure there is
an
option for something like --prefix=/foo/bar --host=686 to optimize the code
for
my specific hardware.

Does anyone know what the "optimal" flags are for an IA-64 in gcc?  I
realize you
can't always use the ones you want, but if you could...?

I have gone through a lot of the gcc documentation, but there is so much,
and
what I have seen so far doesn't cover this.  Can anyone point me in the
right
direction?

Ray