Re: [Linux-ia64] 2.4.4 - cannot compile parport module

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2001-05-19 00:45:09

  Keith> IMHO this is correct, all modules should have unwind data,
  Keith> but if it makes sense for a module to have no unwind data
  Keith> then I need to patch arch_init_module() - David?

Technicaly it's legal not to have an unwind section.  The unwind
conventions define default rules for this case.  OTOH, a missing
unwind section is almost always a sign that something got miscompiled.
Perhaps a warning is in place?

On a related note: let me emphasize that it is *essential* to build
kernel modules with the same options as the modules that are included
in the kernel source tree.  Otherwise, you may end up with an unstable
system (e.g., if the -mfixed* options aren't specified).

	--david