Re: [Linux-ia64] kernel update (relative to 2.4.4)

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2001-05-10 14:14:08

  Jack> BTW, The SN platform does have a hi-res synchronized clock that can be
  Jack> mmapped & read from user space. The clock is located in the "chipset"
  Jack> and is synchronized across all nodes/FSBs.

Good. This was indeed the working assumption: on machines where ITCs
aren't synchronous, there needs to be some other mechanism to obtain
fine-grained time stamps.  So, I think what you'll need is a device
driver for your chipset which will allow mapping the hi-res clock into
user space where libc can use it to implement the *clock* routines.
In the kernel, we can make gettimeoffset() a platform-specific
function, so SN1 and other platforms with non-synchronous clocks can
use an external hi-res timer to implement it.

The only challenge is to decide when to use ITCs and when to use other
hardware.  Unfortunately, I don't believe SAL provides info on whether
the ITC clocks are synchronized (I think it should!).  For now, we
could implement it such that an external hi-res timer is used in favor
of ITCs whenever such hardware is present.

	--david