Re: [Linux-ia64] Cleanup include/asm-ia64/offsets.h - take 2

From: Doug Rabson <dfr_at_nlsystems.com>
Date: 2001-05-01 18:36:25
On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Don Dugger wrote:

> Keith-
>
> The number of defines is not the issue.  This issue is that with
> the current system these defines are only defined once.  If you
> create two different definitions that must match then I can
> guarantee that some time in the future the definitions will get
> out of sync and we'll spend an inordinate amount of time tracking
> down a glitch that never would have occurred if we'd kept with
> the current scheme of generating `offsets.h'.
>
> If the only solution you can come up with is to create multiple
> definitions then I'm with David, let's just keep the current scheme.

We have similar issues in FreeBSD (and all the other BSDs too). Our
current solution is to compile a file which uses offsetof() to determine
the symbol values and then use a script to extract those values.  Earlier
versions used to compile and run a program which used offsetof() but that
made cross-builds harder.

For your amusement, I have attached the definitions file for the
FreeBSD/ia64 port and the script which pulls out the values. The script
output is used to make assym.s which is included by all assembler files.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160