Re: [Linux-ia64] modutils 2.4.2 and USB

From: Johannes Erdfelt <jerdfelt_at_valinux.com>
Date: 2001-02-13 06:41:13
On Mon, Feb 12, 2001, Michael Madore <mmadore@turbolinux.com> wrote:
> I have just built kernel 2.4.1 with the IA64 patch, and also the latest
> (2.4.2) modutils.  All of the USB options are compiled as modules, with the
> exception of USB-Core, which is compiled statically.  After installing
> everything, running depmod -a yields:
>
> depmod: Module /lib/modules/2.4.1-010131-1smp/kernel/drivers/usb/acm.o has
> an unknown version (2) usb_device table
> 	It is likely that the kernel structure has changed, if so then
> 	you probably need a new version of modutils to handle this kernel.
> 	Check linux/Documentation/Changes.
>
> Is this a known problem?

That is definately weird. Keith Owens wanted to add a version information
to help fix a problem we ran into with 2.4.0.

Right before 2.4.0 we had to modify the usb_device_id structure to add some
extra information to make it work correctly. However, this didn't change
the size of the structure (because of alignment reasons) and as a result
it was difficult for modutils to tell the difference between the old style
structure and the new style structure.

Both Linus and I didn't want to add the version information in 2.4 and we
just told him to drop the support for the old style structure since it was
only found in development kernels.

The code stayed in modutils it appears since it wouldn't get in the way
of anything and it would be used in 2.5.

But, the patch never went into the kernel and it shouldn't be finding any
version information. Is there a __module_usb_device_ver symbol in acm.o?

JE