Re: [Linux-ia64] CONFIG_IA64_PAGE_SIZE

From: Rich Altmaier <richa_at_engr.sgi.com>
Date: 2001-01-19 07:43:06
I very much like larger page sizes for their performance boosts,
typically the VM efficiency helps both code+data allocation and
helps IO operation setup/teardown.

However be aware of one significant downside to larger page sizes,
for workloads involving a large number of small processes.
Suppose you fire up 1000 processes on a system, then the
additional physical memory consumption is significant.
I actually don't know the correct calculation but guesstimate
that per-process data structures which increase in size
include kernel stack, task struct, each shared lib data segment,
user data segment.  If the pagesize is increased from 4K to 64K,
then 4 such elements yield  60K*4*1000 processes == 240Mbyte.

Some customers do complain about this (and I tell them to buy
more memory and enjoy the performance).
Thanks, Rich