Re: [Linux-ia64] PATCH: Building on ia32

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2001-01-19 03:29:27

  William> Actually, I think the best solution is to move
  William> is_exec_access() and is_write_access() out of
  William> asm-ia64/pgtable.h, and into some machine independent
  William> header (perhaps mm.h ?), redefining the magic numbers 2 and
  William> 4 to be VM_WRITE and VM_EXEC respectively.  This still
  William> leaves the question of who is responsible for changing all
  William> of the platform specific callers of handle_mm_fault to
  William> reflect the new semantics?

The sole reason for the existence of those macros is so they can be
defined in a platform-specific way.  No other platform is currently
using lazy-execute bits and on those platforms, there is no need to
check the executable bit in the page fault handler.  However, I don't
think is_exec_access() is the final answer either---that's why I don't
bother updating the other ports: it's still very much works in
progress.

	--david